Thursday, April 1, 2010

Open Ranch Day at the Double Check


We took a leisurely Saturday morning drive out to the Double Check Ranch recently. The ranch itself is somewhere west of Dudleyville, AZ, however the address is from Winkleman. There really is no point to that comment other than the simple fact that I like the names of said towns. That being said, the reason for our drive: chickens. Cluck, cluck. I have always wanted to have a turkey just for a pet. I have no idea why, but it's true. As a consolation prize Travis has jumped on the backyard chicken bandwagon and we're off. That was all I needed. So Double Check supplies all natural grass-fed beef and fresh eggs to a couple restaurants in the Tucson area and some local farmers markets up here. From their website I learned of Open Ranch Day. A day, once a month, when they invite their patrons to come check things out at the ranch. Sarah (so nice) and her husband are gracious enough to have complete strangers invade their home on a regular basis and she had some great insight on chicken husbandry for me. I like to be enlightened from a practical perspective before diving into things, doesn't always mean I will use the advice...It just makes it easier for everyone else to say, "I told you so" afterward.
The ranch was beautiful and we learned all sorts of things. Including how they process the beef right there in the backyard. Sounds gruesome, but it was actually really fascinating to see. I also got some first hand advice on how to go about raising hens. Very useful. The little chickadee's (3) should be arriving at home this weekend!






This is Katherine (Paul & Sarah's little girl), she found a book about princess Emily in the back of our car and Abi and Triton were all to happy to hear a story.


Moo.




Checking out the pasture.



Sarah, giving the kids a lesson about what grasses they plant for the cattle to eat. What weeds the cattle choose not to eat and the differences between the two. Cows have four tummy's and just because it's green does not mean they like it. They also burp, a lot.
It was a really nice day. I saw an adopt-a-highway sign... The Crafty Ladies of Dudleyville. I think our three chickens have to be referred to as such. The ranch website, just in case. www.doublecheckranch.com